Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Finals

For what I am about to share, I praise God and wholly give Him credit for His grace and strength.

'15-'16 I went back to college full time. Spring semester proved hard with full time work, 3 kids and a full course load. In all honesty, my heart wasn't fully in it and I had additional distractions. Part of my lack of interest in school had to do with my major; AA Administrative Assistant. I chose it originally because I'd be able to attend classes online so it wouldn't affect work. I also chose it because of job security - and as a single mom, that means a lot.

With less than ideal grades, I had to appeal to keep financial aid. I got it and decided to go back part time this semester; retaking a class I failed in the spring and also taking a family sociology class. I cut out some distractions and did my best to prioritize school. My grades have maintained A's & B's for the most part. The class I had to retake has been by the far the hardest and most challenging; a computer class, a Word class. I ended up with a low A in sociology; and getting a 90% on my final. Wow! That was a first.

Today was my final for the other class. I was beyond nervous especially considering I didn't do so well on my last assignment and my grade is in the low 80's (typically I'd say is good but I really want and need to do the best possible to maintain financial aid). The final for this class is actually a Word certification exam; you need a 700 to pass and get the certification. Now, whatever grade you do get on the exam, divide by 700 and that is your "final" grade for class. Make sense? The certification is not required to pass the class, but is a bonus especially for the work field.

I took the day off from work (as Tuesdays are my short day already) and I wasn't sure how long the exam would take. I first met with my advisor...this semester I truly realized my love for social work (which was my major years ago) and my grades this semester reflect that. I want to do social work because that is where my heart is and I'm going to trust God with the rest (figuring out school & work, providing the job, etc.). So I officially switched to the social work program...and changed my spring semester classes.

I was sharing with my advisor how terrified I was about the final I was about to take...so much riding on this exam...it will basically help determine whether I can go back next semester or not...she gave me some encouragement and a bendy stick thing to play with to help with anxiety. I was able to also practice/study a little bit before the exam.

I got a 673 out of 700. 

GOOD NEWS: I got a 96% on my final.

BAD NEWS: Failed the certification exam, but am getting to retake in the morning. 

I cannot believe I got a 96 in my hardest class! God is good! I do hope to pass the certification tomorrow, but if not, I'm still have to give thanks for all the good that has happened thus far.

God is good and I am excited to see what the future holds.

No comments:

Post a Comment