Friday, October 7, 2011

To Homeschool or not to Homeschool, that is the question!

I can't believe I'm even debating this. I guess the reason I've had a hard time the thought of homeschooling is because of my own experience with it. But that's just it, that was MY experience, not everyone's.

The longer Zeke stays in public school, the more I don't like it. I don't like that kids don't get personal one-on-one education on their own level, so some fall behind, others aren't challenged enough. I don't like the way the teachers handle the kids. I don't like the way the school is run. I don't like the way kids are yelled at in the cafeteria. I don't like when a teacher who doesn't know my kid or the situation that is going on, uses scare tactics on him. I don't like how the nurse doesn't call me. (And Z has only been to the nurse 2-3 times in the 3 years he's been in school.) I don't like how I don't get to monitor who my kid hangs out with, what he is being exposed to. I don't like him being taught the "big bang theory". I don't like any of it.

My DH, Perry, has been wanting Zeke to be homeschooled for a while now. Perry is very smart, and loves to learn, loves to teach. I think he would be a fine teacher ;) OK, but let's be realistic here. He's the provider, I'm the one at home, so I would be the teacher. And I'm not so confident that I would do a good job.

But again, as time goes on, I'm not pleased with the public school system. I feel like I could do at least no worse than they are! So, homeschool it is...I think.

Right now we are researching our options. I've been told about the free online school through the state, it's basically public school online at your house. Dislike. Ok, isn't that part of the reason I want to homeschool because I'm dissatisfied with public schools education? Plus, I'm NOT okay with my kid sitting in front of a screen for some odd hours a day. So no to that.

I like good ole textbooks. But these programs are expensive. I'd like to do field trips. I'd like to make every experience a learning one. I just don't know if I'm that creative! lol Which is where I guess joining a homeschool group would help.

I think the original plan was to start next school year but in all honesty I don't know if I can hold out that long. I'm not thrilled with how this year has gone thus far. I'm not bashing all public schools and those who choose to send their kids there. I just feel like this is the best decision for my child, for our family at this particular time. We'll see how it goes.

I've been praying about it, to varify this is the Lord's will, and I feel pretty confident that it is. And to Perry the answer is an easy YES. (He's funny.) So, we'll see how it goes and when we'll start.

No comments:

Post a Comment