Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Halloween rant

I don't get some peoples issue with Halloween. Like with any holiday, or any day of the year, or any situation, it is what you make it. I've heard bits and pieces of the history of Hallowen, no two stories alike, but to be honest, I don't care! I don't choose to celebrate it as some dark holiday. Instead, my family and I choose to make this a fun and happy time. No darkness, nothing scary ("For God has not given us a spirit of fear"-2 Timothy 1:7). The kiddos get to dress up as something/one that is good, or silly. We don't do scary decorations or anything, everything has to be positive. I like the fact that on Halloween strangers give to strangers. Sure, it might just be candy but ya gotta start somewhere! Neighbors who usually keep to themselves, get out and interact with other neighbors. Everyone is kind and happy, giving compliments on costumes, etc.

So you see, I think its all about perspective and how you choose to view/do things. Your kids will feed off your reaction. You don't make it a big deal, neither will they. You focus on making this a happy time, so will they. And hopefully the tradition will continue. I don't think its an evil, bad holiday unless you choose to make it/celebrate it that way. We sure don't. Gonna try and make the best out of EVERY day, holiday or not! But that's just me, and my opinion. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment