Wednesday, February 6, 2013

More doctor appointments and possible treatment

Monday I had an appointment with my endocrinologist. We discussed the radioactive iodine treatment. She said no contact with my kids for 5 days, side effects are dry mouth, and possible cancer such a leukemia and bone marrow cancer. She recommends this treatment. We went over a bunch of different stuff but honestly, I'm just tired of talking about this.

So they called the hospital to set this up and the hospital called me Tuesday. I'm scheduled to come in on the 27th for blood work to make sure my TSH level is 30+. I've got to be "thyroid hungry". Two weeks prior, I must go on a low iodine diet (which is pretty much Paleo). Say my levels are good, I go back the next morning where I will take the radioactive iodine orally. Then I go home where I cannot be in contact with adults for 3-5 days, and children for 10. Yes, you read that correctly. I cannot see my kids for 10 flipping days.

I am not at peace with this decision. I have an appointment for next Wednesday at doctor's office about 40 minutes away who have all different kinds of doctors on staff, including a naturopath doctor. They also specialize in all things thyroid. I'm hoping to find a natural alternative. And for more involved care. If I just go with this radioactive iodine treatment, I'm sent home, to be kept in a room by myself for almost two weeks. No doctor or nurse supervision. What if something happens? I don't know what to expect - I've never done this before! And the amount of cleaning I must do before my family can return home is just unreal. It would be so much better if I could just stay in a hospital. My endocrinologist also said how the hospital is bad about getting the information back to her, after my body scan a week after the treatment. So what does that mean?! I just don't feel like this route I'm getting good, quality, involved care. And I don't like the side effects associated with this treatment route. I mean, my gosh, it's so possible radiation is what gave me this cancer to begin with - now I'm trading it for another kind??!! I'm not saying I won't go through with this treatment, but I am saying I really want to find out what my options are and hopefully find a better, more natural, less harmful route.

I also came across a cancer hospital that really focuses on the patient as a whole being. They have a naturopathic approach. I've been in touch with them and am supposed to hear back this afternoon. Fingers crossed for some good news.

I am still praying and talking with others, but more importantly will take Perry's opinion into the most consideration. I will update once I hear back from the hospital. Depending how that option goes, I think I will just continue to look for a naturopathic doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment