Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Be Rich

Our church does this yearly thing called BE RICH . It's where we give money, donate food, and volunteer. It's so great. I've been wanting to volunteer for awhile now and this year was actually able to! 

This past Saturday, December 10th, we volunteered at the Abba House Thrift Store. The Abba House is a place for women (and their children) who struggle with addiction to go and get help, also for women in abusive situations, I believe. They have a couple thrift stores that directly benefit the home.

We had all three kids with us as we felt it would be a good experience for them. Plus, they've been learning about being generous, and happy helpers, so here's a great opportunity for them to be generous, happy helpers! We signed up with another couple from our small group, and there was also a family of four there as well.


First, we got the children's room to organize!

Macie was mostly on my back, but did have some quality chill time on the floor. :)

Asher and Zeke throwing away some trash.



I am so thankful for this experience! Though I have done volunteer work in the past, this was really stepping out of my comfort  zone. We got to work with some of the women who currently live in the home, and were able to hear their testimonies. Beautiful! I am so thankful that we had this experience with our children, and I hope they value it as much as we did! And, I would LOVE for this to become the norm for our family...volunteer work, serving others like this. How easy is it for me to volunteer with things that I'm familiar with or have personally experienced, but it was neat to step out of my comfort zone and into a world that I am NOT familiar with in the least. The kids did great, I am so proud of them, and my husband came straight from work to there, so you know he was exhausted - but he too was such a happy helper :) 
((Thank You, God, for allowing my family to share this experience together!!))

"Be rich in good deeds" - 1 Timothy 6:18

No comments:

Post a Comment