Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Something I've Learned



I've been learning new things lately, one of them being it is not my place to point out someone else's sin. Instead, how 'bout I look at me and examine my own.

Ah yes, to some degree I knew that already  BUT it can look different varying the situation.

For example, you hurt me. So bad. So I point out all the things you did that hurt me. And though what you had done may be wrong, it's not my place to point out your sin. Instead, I should reevaluate my actions and see if I sinned. And if I have, I need to go straight to God and ask forgiveness, then come to you. 

I'm learning this as I walk through it. I'm not on the other side of it yet. But I can only assume there is a time and place to say, "Hey! When you did this or that, it made me feel this or that." I'm trying to learn balance, when and how to say what, as the motive of the heart matters as well.

The last week and a half has been one of the most emotional roller coaster rides I've had the (dis)pleasure of being on. Another thing I've learned is to just go to God in that moment. I don't have to wait for a quiet moment to call Him or shoot Him a text. Wherever I am, whatever I'm doing I can send a prayer Heavenward and it's amazing the peace that follows. It also helps to have friends who somehow maintain this unconditional love for you even when you have been nothing but a consumer of the friendship lately. And what more, those friends love you by saying hard things, and always pointing back to God.

I want to add, even if the person is spewing words of hate at you, including your sin, you have the choice to not retaliate. Instead, remember "a gentle word turns away wrath" Proverbs 15:1. I love seeing this verse in action! Also, "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Matthew 7:2. It's good to be mindful of that verse before we respond. Lastly, "For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." Romans 12:19.

We don't have to fight this battle. We don't have to repay hurt to those who hurt us. We can rest in the truth in God's word. He's got this. 

Friends, let us "not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." Romans 12:21. 

No comments:

Post a Comment