Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Spontaneous Trip to Mount Rushmore Memorial

Saturday January 25th, 2014

Our small town, North Dakota.
This place is really growing on me.

Heading out early in the morning.

Beautiful sunrise.

I love these frozen lakes!

Still in North Dakota.

Welcome to South Dakota!

Felt like there should've been cowboys and indians riding around on horses!

At a restroom stop.

Yay, we made it!


I love this walk leading up to the overlook.


Wow!






Zeke pointed out the Georgia flag. 

Rock candy mustaches (beard for Macie)!

Right side mountains, left side flat land.


Love the view of the monument and with the flags.

Love this!


My boys!

They're still down there!

Heading back home.

South Dakota sunset.

We had such a wonderful time at Mount Rushmore! (Overall, the car ride was smooth which makes me think our long car ride up here wasn't a fluke and that they may be able to handle another long ride to Georgia to visit family and friends.) In the car, we read facts about South Dakota, and about Mt. Rushmore and it's history. The boys really enjoyed it there! Macie is still a bit young to understand, but after viewing a 10 minute movie about the history of Mt. Rushmore including the dynamite going off - Macie became nervous when we went back outside and was saying, "It's going to fall! The head is going to fall on us!" Everyone got a small souvenir, including rock candy. I tried teaching the boys "Home on The Range" song that I remember singing with my brother growing up, but they didn't seem too interested. ;) We discovered there is a lot to do in Rapid City, but just a lot of it is closed for winter. :( BUT, I think we are going to plan a long weekend down there some time this summer with the entire family! 

This trip was such a good one for our family. Time together and time exploring a new state and historical place. So thankful for this experience! I left there feeling refreshed and full of happiness, as did my kiddos. =)




No comments:

Post a Comment