Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Christmas 2013

Christmas
Wednesday December 25th, 2013

This was our first Christmas truly being on our own. In a far away state, far from family and friends. Both exciting and new for us. We got our white Christmas =) A very white Christmas, at that. About 5-6 days before, Asher came down with the stomach bug. At first I didn't think much of it because he is my child who will randomly get a "bug" but no one else will. Then I got it, and within 8 hours of me getting sick, so did Zeke and Macie. And they started at the same. exact. time. if you can even believe the chances of that happening. Thankfully, once I told Perry I was sick, he was able to wrap things up at work and made it home shortly after the other two became sick. We spent the weekend before Christmas vegging out, mostly sleeping. Perry eventually got sick too, but I am just thankful we were all better by Christmas! 

Christmas Eve we got up early and went into the city because I had to have blood taken - "fasting lab work". This was for my thyroid. We then got breakfast and did some last minute shopping. Oh, and we also saw the movie "Frozen" on Sunday, which I really enjoyed. I'm not one for Disney movies or even kid movies (they just are usually boring to me, sorry y'all) but I really liked this one. The kids did too. Christmas Eve evening we let each kid open one present each and we read John 1:14:

The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

I saw this on Facebook, this reading plan. It's just a couple verses a day from Dec. 1st-24th. Some of the verses are in John, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Luke, Matthew, and Micah - all in regards to Jesus' birth. It was something simple and fun I've been doing with the boys leading up to Christmas. 

We still aren't doing Santa since I told them the truth a couple years ago. This year was kind of hard because  Asher received a letter from Santa at school and is now convinced he is real. And Perry feels bad that we ever told them the truth - he claims we have robbed them of their childhood somehow. And Macie being just two, goes around saying yes Santa is real, but I don't think she really understands. I usually take them to have their picture taken with Santa regardless just because it's fun. However, we did not this year just because it's a new state and I don't know, I guess that's become my excuse for everything lately. (Honestly, things just aren't as convenient to us as they once were.) Macie took a super long nap on Christmas Eve and would not go to bed that night, so she helped me wrap presents til about 1 am. 


Asher sleeping peacefully Christmas Eve.

Zeke sleeping peacefully Christmas Eve.

Christmas Eve.


The boys were up at 5:30 am ready to open presents but we didn't start til 6:30. Perry made breakfast (which is the best gift for this mom). It was just a nice day full of playing with new toys, playing in snow, watching a Christmas Story (or other Christmas shows). We baked cookies and sang Happy Birthday to Jesus. Perry shoveled the driveway and I think he completed it in record time. Truly, I was impressed. We had a very simple, peaceful, and blessed Christmas. :)







The day after Christmas we had some more errands to finish up before Perry would need to leave back for work. When all that was finished, we went to the science museum in the city; my sister and brother-in-law had bought us a family membership as a Christmas gift! We spent several hours there and had so much fun! The kids did not want to leave! I'm thinking we will head back over there again before school break is over. 


Zeke loved it there!

Asher was totally impressed with the heart pump thing.

Macie!

No comments:

Post a Comment