Monday, November 4, 2013

Zeke's Baptism


Sunday October 20th 2013 
2:30pm at Browns Bridge Community Church































Zeke's baptism fell on the day of our move...intentionally. As the day approached, I thought for sure I had lost my mind to have had planned it this way. But once it came to be, it went so smoothly and beautifully. It was one so memorable. I am so thankful we chose to do it this way.

There has been a couple times since kindergarten that we attended a thing at our church (per his request) with Zeke explaining what baptism, etc. It became more serious a year ago when Zeke became persistent and we attended once more and started the interviewing process. For whatever reason, we felt best to hold off and wait. And we did. And he kept pursuing, kept asking. He knows baptism isn't what 'saves' us, just FYI. I guess we just wanted to make sure it was a heart thing. He was saved one night after coming to me and asking me to prayer with him. He had been persistent ever since. Once again, we started the or picked up, the interview process which went incredibly well. Zeke's answers blew me out of the water how well he understood things about God and Jesus and what Jesus did for us, how he understands baptism - I mean, things I didn't know or think of in that way. Incredibly proud doesn't do justice to how I felt listening to my boy talk about his/our Savior. It was incredible. We all agreed we felt like he was in fact ready. And so the next baptism was scheduled for 10/20 (this all happened over the summer). 

Two weeks before the baptism, the kids come in and shot their video kind of telling "their story". They even get to do a fun little photo shot. The ladies must've thought I looked rough. As  Zeke went back to do his, there I was in my sweats and big tee, late from trying to pack, I had developed pink eye, and was just overwhelmed and exhausted. They asked and I explained about the move and everything. They must have taken note and I'll explain why later.

Day of baptism, they have all the kids pictures going across the screen with fun facts about them. Before each kids baptism, they played their video. We will receive a copy of Zeke's and I so cannot wait! What a treasure to have! 17 kids were baptized that day. Zeke's story was/is precious. And he definitely gave me a shout out wanting to "thank my mom" which completely melted my heart. 

The whole thing was incredible. We were surrounded by loving friends. Perry's mom, step sister and dad also came out, as well as his high school best friend, Tim and his wife, Brittany. So appreciate their support. Amber and her kids came, April and Gracie, Sheree and her girls, and Crystal with Dustin and Meredith. Both of Zeke's small group leaders were there as well. And we saw Caleb, who was mine and Perry's MoneyWise mentor when we went thru that program at church! It was such a cool way to come full circle, our last time at church. 

We had to get to church early to drop Zeke off. We wouldn't see him again until the baptism. They played songs of worship. It was so good. I can't even begin to explain. It was truly worship. Wholeheartedly, true, genuine, sincere, did not care who saw, lemme raise my hands in the air, worship. Our group took up an entire row. It was beautiful. You could feel the presence of God. It was incredible. After some songs, they started the videos and baptisms. I love hearing everyone's story. Some made me tear up. Getting to witness these young kiddos profess their faith in Christ - beautiful! Precious! Incredible! Blessing! Jeff baptized Zeke. It was incredible. After all the baptisms, the kids came on stage, there was confetti, music. There was talking throughout this. The whole thing was incredible. Really, I was blown away. Shocked. It was amazing, awesome. If I'm being repetitive it's only because it was that good.

Then each kid, like, went to their own spot where family and friends could pray for them. One of Zeke's small group leaders, Brayden, came over and prayed. I felt so compelled to pray and started to, but the tears took over I couldn't finish. I feel kind of silly looking back, but God saw my heart. Again I was blown away because I wasn't expecting everyone to come over there to pray over Zeke but they did! Zeke was surrounded by those who love him! My boy was covered in love! It was the most incredible experience ever! 

From there, we went back to our table where the church provided cake and drinks and a gift. Perry's mom bought Zeke a special cross necklace and bracelet as well as one for Macie and Asher. Both of Zeke's small group leaders came by for a pic and to say 'goodbye' to him. As did Jeff. The church went above and beyond to make this a memorable experience. They gave Zeke a Bible and card. As well as a "birth certificate" (pic above) for everyone to sign. It was all personal; everything having Zeke's name on it. Like, I just love that church so much. They do what they do with excellence. 

Jen, the lady who works at church from two weeks prior that I was talking about, left a card in a bag for our family for our move. The church provided us with many, many, many gift cards for gas, food, etc. for our move! And two worship CDs! I was blown away! She came by and hugged me and said, "I know, I know." 'Cause she knows. 'Cause she was listening to the leading of the Spirit. I mean, I don't know, but that was a blessing. God is so good to provide. The way this move was on then off then on again in such a short time, and then Perry missed so much work leading up to our move because his truck was down but ya know what? He took care of us. All of our needs (plus some) have been met. He is faithful to provide. Nothing is ever hopeless. As long as you have Jesus, you have hope. 

So, that day was special. I am so happy for Zeke. So proud of him. So thankful to be alive and to have been there to see him be baptized! Life is precious, folks. With everything that happened this last year in mind, I am so thankful to have been there. I am so happy for my boy! So happy with his choice - HIS choice! So proud :) He's  a great son and now a great brother in Christ. :) 










No comments:

Post a Comment